I have a bit of a handheld obsession. While the Switch 2 is a massive piece of hardware, I’ll always have a soft spot for the 3DS, which proved that JRPGs didn't need a home console to deliver deep, sprawling adventures. Here are the 10 titles that defined the system's library for me, ranked by a mix of critical acclaim and my own stubborn preferences.
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
7th Dragon III Code: VFD
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
I usually avoid games with clunky, overly complex titles, but I’m glad I made an exception for this one. It shares a lot of DNA with Etrian Odyssey thanks to its deep character customization and class variety, but it pairs that mechanical depth with a gripping narrative about time travel and apocalyptic dragon threats. It’s rare for me to start a new game immediately after finishing one, but this challenge kept me hooked long enough to dive right back in.
Monster Hunter Stories
I’ve never clicked with the mainline Monster Hunter games, so I waited years to pick this up—and I regret the delay. It’s essentially a giant, colorful theme park where you ride and battle monsters, sitting in a perfect sweet spot between Pokémon and the traditional Monster Hunter loop. The stylus-based combat is incredibly intuitive, making it one of the last games I truly savored on the 3DS before support dried up.
Stella Glow
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
If this list were based purely on my personal bias, Stella Glow would be sitting much higher. It was the final, triumphant swan song from Imageepoch, blending tactical combat, a solid 50-plus hour runtime, and a surprisingly emotional plot centered around a group of witches. While it leans on familiar tropes like the amnesiac protagonist, the execution is so polished that I found myself grinding just to ensure I hit the best possible ending.
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
I’m not typically a dungeon-crawler guy, but this managed to win me over despite its brutal difficulty and grind-heavy loops. The chibi-style visuals were a bit of a departure, but the writing is sharp enough to keep you engaged as you navigate traps and punishing boss encounters. It’s an addictive, 60-hour experience, though it definitely helps if you’ve already played Persona 3 and 4 to appreciate the character dynamics.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
I wasn’t a huge fan of the original Shin Megami Tensei IV, but Apocalypse manages to fix almost everything that bothered me. The story moves at a much faster clip thanks to the inclusion of the deity Dagda, and the protagonist, Nanashi, is a far more compelling lead. Whether you want to align with your allies or betray them for pure power, the demon-fusing mechanics and the weakness-based combat make post-apocalyptic Tokyo an absolute blast to explore.
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
AlphaDream’s Mario & Luigi series has always been a highlight, and this 3DS remaster is the definitive way to play the classic. It takes the original adventure—where the plumbers explore the interior of Bowser’s body—and adds a fresh coat of paint alongside the Bowser Jr.’s Journey side campaign. Seeing the villain Fawful get his due as a major threat while getting to control Bowser himself in epic boss battles makes this a must-play.
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
I grew up a Final Fantasy kid, but this 3DS port of the PS2 classic finally turned me into a Dragon Quest believer. The conversion to the handheld is surprisingly robust, and it adds meaningful content like new party members Red and Morrie to the already dense, 100-hour journey. It’s a rare example of a 3D game on the 3DS that actually looks good, making it the perfect title to sink time into wherever you happen to be.
Pokemon Sun & Moon
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
The Pokémon series often feels like it plays it safe, but Sun & Moon took some genuine risks that paid off. The Alola region offered a refreshing setting, and the introduction of Alolan variants remains one of my favorite features in the entire franchise. It’s also one of the few games in the series that actually prioritizes the narrative, giving us a genuinely engaging story to go along with the hunt for powerful Ultra Beasts.
Bravely Default
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
It was a bold move for Square Enix to lean into a retro-inspired aesthetic, but Bravely Default absolutely nailed it. The Job System is incredibly satisfying to master, and the "Brave" combat mechanic—where you can spend turns in advance to unleash massive damage—adds a layer of strategy that keeps every fight interesting. While the endgame loop can feel a bit repetitive, the vibrant world and the stellar cast of characters make it a standout JRPG.
Fire Emblem Awakening
Image credit: www.dualshockers.com
Before this game arrived, the Fire Emblem series was struggling to find its footing in the West, and I honestly wasn't sure if it would survive. Awakening didn't just save the series; it delivered a masterpiece that brought hundreds of hours of tactical perfection to the 3DS. Between the time-traveling narrative, the massive cast of characters, and the precise, deep turn-based gameplay, it stands as the absolute pinnacle of the handheld's library.
The 3DS might be retired, but its library remains a goldmine for anyone who loves a good JRPG. Whether you're looking for deep tactical combat or a lighthearted monster-catching romp, these ten games prove that the best experiences don't always need a massive screen to leave a lasting impression.
Original coverage: www.dualshockers.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment